Health Care Proxies for Young Adults

Do you have a child in college?  Did you realize that if he or she winds up in the hospital that you do not automatically have the right to direct the medical attention your child receives, or even to speak with the physicians?  This comes as a shock to most parents.  Everyone over 18 should have a Health Care Proxy and HIPPA release form.  These documents tell the doctors who can see medical records, who can speak with physicians, and who can make medical decisions if the patients is unable to do that himself.  Just because you pay the bills, just because you’re his mom, just because it’s the “right” thing does not mean the hospital needs to respect this.  Get the documents in place; it is easy to do and if there is ever an emergency, you will be glad you did.  The  college might have forms you can use, and your estate planning attorney can certainly help you.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *